Raise and Train
We have a small number of placements for our Raise and Train program. This is a program where we select a puppy for you and this puppy becomes yours at 8 weeks of age but remains with us for training for a number of weeks after that.
The purpose of this program is to train the puppy to become a support dog of some type, perhaps emotional support, autism support etc where the owner may not be able to train the puppy themselves to an effective level.
At 8 weeks the puppy will begin to live with our trainer, who will raise the puppy in our development program.
Attributes of this program may include (but are not limited to): –
- Extensive and effective socialisation
- Environmental exposure – public areas, shops, schools etc
- Home management program – toilet, ex pen, crate and place training
- Transport program – in vehicle training, bus and taxi transport
- Communications program – marker or clicker training
- Obedience training – Loose leash walking, sit, down, stay, place and recall.
- Problem solving skills
- and more…
The above are crucial to produce a dog that can function easily in your life, be that in a busy school classroom, office, doctors room, cafe or other places, the dog needs to be balanced and stable.
At different periods throughout development, the puppy is delivered to the clients home and we will show you how to live with the puppy and bond with him or her for a few days, then back to us, until complete transition is done.
Most pups are finished this program by 20 – 26 weeks depending on your goals and support continues for much longer after that.
This may be the only way that some people have the chance to have their very own service dog without the pitfalls of raising a puppy.